October is child abuse prevention month. 2021 marks the 12th year of Dilico Anishinabek Family Care’s Step Up campaign in Thunder Bay and District. This year the annual initiative is looking to amplify the voices of Indigenous youth and raise awareness about how the community can step up and Come Together to help keep children safe and strengthen families this October.
Throughout the month, residents, businesses, schools, individuals and families, can come together to show their willingness to take responsibility for the safety, happiness and health of local children by participating in the Step Up community initiatives.
- Participate in Go Purple for Prevention Day on October 27th! Find your favourite purple outfit. Take photos or video of your staff, family,students in purple and share them on Facebook and Instagram with #StepUpTBay and tagging @stepupThunderBay. Photos can also be submitted to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wear a purple ribbon
- Participate in the Step Up Scavenger Hunt
- Educate yourself. Learn the signs of child abuse and how you can help
- Take a Step: Print this footprint or create your own and write how you commit to step up for children and youth in 2021. Children and youth are also encouraged to write what the community can do to Step Up and make them feel connected, safe and hopeful for their future. Take a photo of your footprint and take the step by sharing it on your socials with hashtag #StepUpTBay and tagging @StepUpThunderbay. You can also post it in your window for the month.
- Ask yourself, “What am I doing to support children and youth in my community?”
- Donate to the Mazinaajim Children’s Foundation (link to mazinaajim.com) Mazinaajim supports Indigenous youth to achieve their dreams.
- Youth can participate in the Come Together Youth Gathering virtually on Wednesday, October 13th from 7:00 pm- 9:00 pm. A motivational talk will be provided by Turtle Concepts and there will be prizes for participation!
- ARE YOU A TEACHER? Check out the ways your class and students can step up and participate in this years campaign.
If you have concerns about a child, please call:
Dilico Anishinabek Family Care
Toll Free: 1-855-623-8511
Emergency service 24 hours a day