October is Child Abuse Prevention Month in Ontario. It is a time to remember that we are ALL responsible for the safety, happiness and health of children in our community.
This year Dilico Anishinabek Family Care has partnered with Children’s Aid Society of The District of Thunder Bay in Step Up—a campaign aimed at engaging the entire community in child abuse prevention.
Throughout the month of October there are many ways residents, organizations and schools can Step Up!
- Residents and businesses can Step Up by displaying a purple ribbon. The purple ribbon serves as a reminder that the problem of child abuse and neglect continues in the community and has crippling effects on children. Ribbons can be worn, put on vehicles, tied around trees or given to friends, colleagues and customers.
- Parents can Step Up by engaging in safe parent-child activities throughout the month of October.
- Businesses can Step Up by hosting our community information display for a day during the month of October, by distributing purple ribbons to employees and customers, by encouraging employees to wear purple and by organizing child-friendly activities.
Dilico Anishinabek Family Care and Children’s Aid Society of Thunder Bay & District also remind the community that it is important to StepUp after the month of October on behalf of local children.
We can all Step Up throughout the year and take responsibility for the safety of our community’s children in many ways including:
- Learning to recognize the signs of child abuse;
- Reporting suspected child abuse and neglect;
- Ensuring that children have safe and healthy environments in which to live and play;
- Educating ourselves with information on how to prevent child abuse and how to get help when its needed by visiting: www.useyourvoice.ca.